The Jain Center of Greater Boston was one of the first Jain Centers of its kind in North America when it was established in 1973 and was the first center to have temple in 1981. Ever since then, the center has played a pivotal and pioneering role in advancing Jain thought and Philosophy in North America and strengthening the roots of the Jain community in the region. Today JCGB serves over 300 families in the Greater Boston area comprising of eastern Massachusetts, southern New Hampshire and Vermont, and Rhode Island.
JCGB conducts a Jain Pathshala (school of philosophy and practices) to ensure that the practice of Jainism is imprinted upon generations to come.
Leadership Role among Jain Centers
This trend and track record of innovative ideas and leadership roles has earned the center the reputation of an elite organization and community much in resemblance to the Boston area itself. The center has grown exponentially since its early days and now comprises about three hundred well tethered and enlightened Jain families, including children, youth, adults and seniors.
Pioneering and Intellectual Thinking
In the past the center has taken some pioneering projects and continued them efficiently. The North American Jain Directory is a long proven example of the same. Community awareness, involvement and activities have continued to attract the best and the most devoted social workers to the center.
Well Tethered Society: Social, Religious and Cultural Awareness
In a well organized and structured manner, the center now continues to provide intellectual leadership to the Jain community in the North American region.
Did You Know …
- The first gathering of the Jain Community of Boston area took place in the year 1973 as a first step in forming the Jain Center Organization.
- Jain Center of Greater Boston was the first center to have temple in 1981.
- Jain Center of Greater Boston was the first center to put together Jain Directory listing all Jain families names and addresses residing in North America in the year 1979 in U.S.
- Jain Center of Greater Boston was the first center to perform Dance Drama based on Jain Story Nem Rajul in U.S.
- Jain Center moved to it’s current place in Norwood, MA in the year 2010 from its original place established in 1981.
- The first Pathshala Convention in U. S. was held in Boston during the year 1999.